The Effect of Zinc Supplementation on Improving Cognitive and Nutrition Status among Preschool Children Coming to Family Medicine Center Clinic in Nikla Village at Giza
Keywords:Prevalence, Zinc, Cognitive, Nutrition, IQ
- Prevalence of zinc deficiency among preschool children in the study.
- Impact of zinc supplementation on cognitive function and the nutritional status among preschool
- Health education for healthy food and their requirement from the food regard the age and sex.
This is a pre-post intervention study included 50 preschool child.
Method: The children randomly assigned to receive zinc supplementation daily for 6 months according to the
level of plasma zinc. They were A self- administered questionnaire was used included (socio-demographic
data, food frequency questionnaire and 24 hr. recall), anthropometric and cognition were assessed at the
beginning and the end of the supplementation period. In addition to health education about healthy food
throughout the follow up 6 months.
Results:-The study included males (46%) and females (54%);
-There was a significant difference in weight for age and height for age between the group before and after
- A significant difference in cognitive function, which the full-scale IQ, verbal IQ and nonverbal IQ between
the group before and after zinc supplementation
-The health education effect positively on increasing the consumption of healthy food as protein, CHO,
fruits, and vegetables to the normal proportions also effect on decrease consumption of unhealthy food as
manufactured potatoes, fizzy drinks, and sweats.
Conclusions: zinc supplementation has an effect on cognitive and nutrition status on preschool age.-
Health education about healthy food have good
feedback on the study.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Re use and mixing of content policy- We follow Creative Commons Licence Policy. We follow CC BY. Please refer below for all details
This license lets others distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon our work, even commercially, as long as they credit us for the original creation.
- The journal allows readers to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose.
- The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions.
- The journal allows the author(s) to retain publishing rights without restrictions