An Epidemiological Profile of Previously Treated Patients Registered in Tuberculosis Units in Urban Visakhapatnam

Authors

  • Devi Madhavi Bhimarasetty
  • VenkataDurga Prasad Vithanala
  • Jayasree Palla
  • Sindhura Moparthi

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.37506/pnft2d02

Keywords:

Previously treated patients, Relapse, Retreatment, Tuberculosis Units, Visakhapatnam.

Abstract

Background: Tuberculosis (TB) remains a major global public health problem. Retreatment patients have
higher risk of drug resistance compared with new cases. The objective of the study is to describe the types
of retreatment (previously treated) patients and assess the Socio demographic characteristics, co morbid
and behavioural conditions of retreatment patients and to identify the factors associated with relapse
under Revised National Tuberculosis Control Program ( RNTCP) in the tuberculosis units located in Urban
Visakhapatnam. The main aim of the study is to study epidemiological profile of previously treated patients
to identify the factors which make tuberculosis patients prone for retreatment so that necessary action can
be taken.
Methods: This is an Observational Analytical Cross-sectional study done in Tuberculosis units in GVMC. All the
subjects(193) who were registered as Previously treated patients in TUs during the second and third quarter of
the year 2016 i.e April to September 2016. A pretested semi structured schedule was administered. Categorical
data was analysed by Chi square test. Quantitative variables were represented as means and standard deviation.
Unpaired t test was used for testing statistical significance in quantitative data.
Results : Among 193 study subjects 168 (87%) were having pulmonary TB and remaining 25 (13%) were having
extra pulmonary TB. Majority of the study participants, 141 (73%) were males whereas only 52 (27%) were females.
Relapse patients were 125(64.9%) Defaulters were 12 (6.2%), Treatment failure was 9 (4.6%) and Others previously
treated were 47 (24.3%). Chi square test was used for testing statistical significance of association between
categorical variables.
Conclusion: Socio demographic factors, behavioural and co morbid factors have an effect on Relapse and
modifying these risk factors may bring about favourable outcomes. There is further need for exploring the reasons
for high rates of relapse.

Author Biographies

  • Devi Madhavi Bhimarasetty

    Professor and Head , Rangaraya Medical college , Kakinada, Department of Community Medicine,

  • VenkataDurga Prasad Vithanala

    Associate Professor, Government Medical College, Rajamahendravaram , Department of Community
    Medicine.

  • Jayasree Palla

    Associate Professor, GSL Medical College, Rajamahendravaram, department of Community Medicine

  • Sindhura Moparthi

    Assistant Professor, GSL Medical College, Rajamahendravaram, department of Community Medicine

Downloads

Published

2024-01-05

How to Cite

An Epidemiological Profile of Previously Treated Patients Registered in Tuberculosis Units in Urban Visakhapatnam. (2024). Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 15(1), 61-67. https://doi.org/10.37506/pnft2d02