Observing the Clinical use of Ultrasound Imaging by Physiotherapists in Saudi Arabia

Observing the Clinical use of Ultrasound Imaging by Physiotherapists in Saudi Arabia

Authors

  • Jaffar S. Abdrabalrasol
  • Amin A. Algafly
  • Ahmed A. Almusabbeh
  • Wafa H. Almaghaslah

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.37506/ijpot.v16i4.18702

Keywords:

Ultrasound imaging, Survey, Physiotherapist, Biofeedback, Ultrasound training

Abstract

Objective: This study aimed to design a questionnaire to survey physiotherapists’ use of ultrasound imaging
(USI), identify barriers to use, and determine what training physiotherapists require.
Background: USI is becoming increasingly common in physiotherapy practice, but it is highly operator-dependent,
and there are safety and professional issues regarding its use. Physiotherapists using USI currently lack specific
training guidelines. As a result, it is necessary to not only evaluate the context of its clinical use but also to identify
the barriers preventing its uptake. However, few regulatory bodies guide the use of USI in physical therapy.
The scope of practice for physical therapists in using USI is limited, as well as the opportunities for continuing
education.
Methods: A questionnaire was developed based on research literature and guidelines.
Design: Cross-sectional observational design utilizing an Internet-based electronic survey.
Results: The majority of respondents were male (N= 111, 73.50%), and the rest were female (N= 40, 26.50%). Most
of the respondents said they don’t perform USI in clinical practice (N= 99, 65.10%), and they stated that lack of
training and lack of ultrasound machines are the main barriers that limit them from using USI (N= 59, 60.80%) and
(N= 54, 55.70%).
Conclusions: The participants reported a variety of clinical uses for USI and levels of training. Training and
uptake of USI would both be enhanced by more knowledge of its clinical uses and benefits. Barriers preventing
physiotherapists from using USI in Saudi Arabia and ways to overcome them are discussed.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Author Biographies

Jaffar S. Abdrabalrasol

MSc. Physical Therapist, Sport Medicine Rehabilitation, Ministry Of Health, Qatif Central Hospital, Eastern region, KSA.

Amin A. Algafly

MSc. Physical Therapist, Sport Medicine Rehabilitation, Ministry Of Health, Qatif Central Hospital, Eastern region, KSA.

Ahmed A. Almusabbeh

MSc. Physical Therapist,  Ministry Of Health, Qatif Central Hospital, Eastern region, KSA.

Wafa H. Almaghaslah

BSc. Physical Therapy, MSc. Public health, Field Epidemiology, Ministry Of Health, Qatif Central Hospital, Eastern region, KSA.

Downloads

Published

2022-10-19

How to Cite

Jaffar S. Abdrabalrasol, Amin A. Algafly, Ahmed A. Almusabbeh, & Wafa H. Almaghaslah. (2022). Observing the Clinical use of Ultrasound Imaging by Physiotherapists in Saudi Arabia. Indian Journal of Physiotherapy & Occupational Therapy Print- (ISSN 0973-5666) and Electronic –(ISSN 0973-5674), 16(4), 36–41. https://doi.org/10.37506/ijpot.v16i4.18702
Loading...